Monday 8 December 2014

It's The Most Wonderful Time of the Year...

Even writing that title has started me humming Christmas tunes. It's no secret to anyone (my flatmates who were forced into Christmas dinner, my family who have been getting Christmas themed texts and emails since November 1st or anyone who witnessed my excitement at our Winter Ball) how much I freaking love Christmas. This year my festive spirits has reached new highs and so I thought I would share some of my favourite things about Christmas time.



1) The music. Yes I am one of those people who's had their Christmas playlist on since November. Yes I struggle to listen to any music that is not Christmas-y throughout December. The other day I resorted to listening to Justin Bieber's album as I couldn't bear a car journey without Christmas music. Personal favourites are All I Want For Christmas is You, Fairytale of New York, Baby Please Come Home and Merry Christmas Everyone. And you can't go wrong with a bit of Buble.


2) Lights everywhere. From my university to my good old home town of London, nothing says Christmas like beautiful Christmas trees and rows and rows of lights.






3) Festive drinks everywhere you go. particular mention goes to Costa who's entire Christmas menu makes me happier than anything. Our campus cafe had amazing "Snowballs" which was white hot chocolate and all kinds of other toppings. Mmmn I'm going to miss that cafe over the holidays! Chain cafes like Costa, Starbucks and Pret drinks are also delicious, perfect for warming you up whilst giving a little taste of Christmas!



4) Advent Calendars. Possibly the best invention ever. A treat everyday? Who doesn't love these? My very kind and amazing Mum brought me the Benefit advent calender this year. A bit different from the £4 Cadbury chocolate ones I've had the years before! I am loving the free samples and it is such a perfect way to test little bits before splashing on the full size. I also love genuinely not knowing what I'm going to get each day!

5) Christmas films. From Love Actually (which is actually favourite film and I will watch it all year round) to Elf there is nothing better than a good Christmas film to warm your heart and put a smile on your face. Everyone has their favourites but Elf and Love Actually I watch every year without fail.



6) Buying presents. It sounds so cliche, but I genuinely love buying presents. I know many people dread it *cough* Dad, my brother *cough* and yes trying to find something for that obscure family member you only see once a year or that person in secret santa who you've spoken to precisely three times is not my favourite part of the holiday season. However, taking the time to choose that perfect gift that you know will make your loved one smile or laugh when unwrapping is just soo worth it. Only a few days ago I said to my flatmate "I love giving presents more than receiving" to get the reply "That's good Alex as I haven't brought shit!" Boys ey?



7) The food. I'm almost disappointed at myself for putting this so low down on the list. Nothing beats Christmas food, from the turkey to pigs in blankets to my grandmother's roast potatoes (that are really Aunt Bessie's but shuuush). It also makes it even more special the chaos that leads up to sitting down at the table, from attempting to weigh the turkey with my Grandma and Mum last Christmas Eve on scales that had long given up the ghost to my Grandma insisting we could microwave all the vegetables. If there's anything better than Christmas dinner, give it my number.



I'm sure I could go on and name many more things that make this time of year so amazing and special to me but I think this is a pretty good start! Now I have some questions for you: 
Favourite Christmas song?
Favourite Christmas film?
Favourite part of Christmas dinner?
Where will you be spending Christmas this year?
xx 



No comments:

Post a Comment