Wednesday 5 August 2015

Projects Abroad Vietnam

Back in February I decided I needed to plan something for Summer. I was in a bit of a rut, some crap was going on in my personal life that had led me feeling miserable and desperate to get out of my usual life. I also was vaguely aware that I should probably start doing something that will help my future career prospects, so I was trailing through countless job/internship websites looking for something in the charity sector when the same company kept popping up- Projects Abroad.

I hadn't heard of it before but after spending a few minutes on their website I was already intrigued. They offer short term specials abroad for young people age 15-19 who want volunteering experience and also to travel, which is basically me in a nutshell.

Projects Abroad offer a variety of projects in tons of different countries, but it didn't long for me to decide on Vietnam. I studied Vietnam history when I was sixteen and the country has always been on my bucket list to visit. It looked a beautiful country with such a rich history.

So before I knew it, I had paid my deposit, joined the official Facebook group, and had my jabs. I checked in my rather large suitcase, waved off my anxious parents at Heathrow and soon I was on a plane to Bangkok ready to change and get on a second flight to Hanoi.

Volunteering in Vietnam for two weeks on a Care and Community Project was 100% one of the best experiences of my life. I can't put into words how great it was, from the country, to the kids we worked at, to the other 12 volunteers. It was truly magical and taught me so much from confidence in myself, I learnt about other cultures and countries (not just Vietnam but France, Japan and the USA from the other volunteers). I tried new experiences and foods and met some amazing new people who will stay with me for a long time.

I was so sad to get on the plane home (although the promise of a comfy bed and a decent shower made it a tad easier!) but I can't wait to share all my experiences on here. There will probably be several posts, from Volunteering to Food to Vietnam as a country so look out for them!












xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment