Friday 7 August 2015

Vietnam: The Food

"But it wouldn't as awful as a summer in Ohio without cable, hot water, Vietnamese food...or you"

This is a lyric from one of my favourite musicals The Last Five Years and I gotta say I understand what Cathy is singing about. Vietnamese food was damn good.


We ate traditional Vietnamese food pretty much everyday, from crab spring rolls to rice to noodles. Some personal favourites were dumplings, beef steak and sweet potato fries with sesame seeds on. Mmmmmn.

Before going to Vietnam the closest I'd come to Vietnamese cuisine was the Asian style of Wagamamas, but now I will be hunting down a Vietnamese restaurant near me. I fell completely in love with the food.




This tasted similar to Pad Thai and was absolutely delicious. 



Street BBQ- a hot plate in which sweet potato, squid and beef were all cooked on. Absolutely delicious but the spitting oil was seriously hot when it caught your leg! 



Otherwise known as beef steak, this was brilliant. It was beef steak, chips, egg, pate and vegetables in a thick gravy like sauce which when finished you mopped up with bread. Delicious! 



Our food on the last night was delicious, especially our fruit mocktails. It was even decorated with little ducks made out of carrot which was adorable until my friend broke mine. Grr. Also enjoy T and K in the background! 

I wish I'd taken more photos of the food, I guess at the time I was too busy enjoying! We also had a food tour of Hanoi where we we tried lots of different foods from around the Old Quarter, including fried food that was freshly cooked. I had a sweet potato doughnut which was genuinely one of the best things I've ever tasted, a long with coconut ice cream and finishing with egg coffee. Egg coffee sounds gross I know but it was really more like a creamy, milky thick layer on top of coffee. It sounds bizarre but honestly it was so good! 


And finally, not technically Vietnamese but in Bangkok airline on my layover I had a green tea frap from Starbucks which was damn incredible. WHY IS THIS NOT A THING IN BRITISH STARBUCKS? But this just reminded me to mention how incredible the tea was in Vietnam. Served with pretty much every meal and served cold it was delicious and I wish I could have bottled it and brought it back to England.

If you ever find yourself near a Vietnamese restaurant I strongly advise you to go in- it's delicious!
Now I'm craving a sweet potato doughnut and some Vietnamese tea...
xxx 


No comments:

Post a Comment