Sunday 21 September 2014

I'm angry.

There's a quote that says "If you aren't angry, you aren't paying attention." 

Today I logged onto to Twitter to see a major shitstorm occuring over Sam Pepper, a Youtuber's, latest video. I've watched one or two of his before and always been a bit disgusted, there was one where he went up to girls on the street and convinced them to kiss him which I thought was creepy and a bit vile. 

His latest video though, titled "Fake Hand Ass Pinch Prank" he goes up to girls with one hand out and one supposedly in his hoodie pocket, except he actually has his hand free. When the girls turn away, he pinches their bum. When they notice he laughs it off, calling it a prank.

I would hope that anyone reading that would realise what's wrong with this video immediately. Touching a girl without her consent is sexual assault. Laughing it off and calling it a "prank" doesn't take away from the fact that you didn't have her consent to touch her. Girls are not objects, we have the right to walk down the street without creeps touching us. If any of those girls are underage he could be facing even more serious charges.

I'm worried about the fact that this is considered entertainment. Throughout the video Sam laughs, even when a girl says "I don't like that". ENOUGH. Touching a girl without her consent is a dick move enough, but for her to vocalise the fact that she is uncomfortable and for you to laugh? Disgusting.

Thankfully, many many viewers and creators alike are speaking out about how disgusting and wrong they think this is. However, concerningly, many people are defending Sam. Comments on his video read like "it's not that bad, calm down" "this is funny!" "learn to take a joke women" "why are you having a hissy fit? It's a prank? It's not as if he's touching them inappropriately?" 

This is not funny. Sexual harassment is not funny. It's a crime, it's wrong, it shouldn't happen in this day and age. And he is touching them inappropriately. It would make me incredibly uncomfortable for that to happen to me and I'm pretty sure many, many people would agree with me. It's a violation of our rights. 

Women aren't objects. We have the right to walk down the street without men thinking they are entitled to just touch us, like they own us. 

In another video, Sam lassos women as a "pick up technique". When the girls/their friends protest he says "she's mine now!" We are not objects. We belong to ourselves. 

Sam's videos set a terrible example to younger fans and I am so proud to see people speaking up and reporting him. 

I feel like this post wasn't as articulate as I wanted, but I'm just angry and I want to talk about it.

Laci Green wrote a great Tumblr post about this topic which I encourage you to read. Find it here
Gary C also did a video which explains what I was trying to say a lot better. Watch it here

To sum up- Sam Pepper is a piece of shit and I want him off Youtube. If anyone touches you without your consent- kick them in the balls and cut their hands off. Don't keep quiet. Tell them to get the fuck away from you. Be a bitch. They are showing you no respect so they don't deserve any back. 


No comments:

Post a Comment