Thursday 4 September 2014

Day Out: Miss Saigon

Ever since Miss Saigon landed in London in May 2014 and I have heard the amazing reviews I have been desperate to see it. Tickets are so expensive, Mum and I decided day seats were our best bet but we've had no free day to go and queue. A friend recommended to me we tried on a Thursday as there are two shows, a matinee and an evening so more tickets available!

Today Mum got two tickets to the matinee, in the third row from the seat. For anyone interested, day seats go on sale at 10am and my Mum joined the queue at 9:30 but she recommends arriving at 9:15 :) 

I was so excited for Miss Saigon and we had such an amazing view. (I took this before it started- don't be that dick that takes photos during shows guys!)

Miss Saigon was breathtaking. We had the understudy playing Chris who was Niall Sheehy that I had actually seen in Les Mis last summer. He was perfect. The entire cast was perfect. Special mention to Eva who played Kim who was absolutely insane. I can't believe she's never been on the West End before. 

The play itself is about Kim, who is a prostitute in Saigon who falls in love with Chris an American marine, but they are then torn apart. I cried. A lot. 
Ugh it's just so heart wrenching and tragic, especially because these were real events that occured in Saigon. 

The vocal talent was extraordinary, the staging was incredible and the lighting was brilliant. I also thought the dancing was amazing, considering it's not really a song and dance kind of musical it was still spectacular.

I can't fault this musical. I loved Niall's performance of Chris, it was sweet and vulnerable but he also had that aggressive side that made his character so complex and realistic.



Mum and I looking very happy to be there :)
Afterwards we lingered at stage door. Niall came out so quickly, after only about five minutes and there was a pretty large crowd around him but he was sweet and had time for everyone. I told him he was amazing (cos he was) and he said "ah thank you!" before signing my ticket. I then asked for a quick photo and he said "yeah of course!" He is such a lovely and talented guy and I wish him all the best.


If you can go see Miss Saigon- go go go! It is so good and I honestly can't wait to see it again. I also can't wait for the cast recording, out on the 22nd of September! 

Have you seen it? Are musicals your thing? 
xxx




No comments:

Post a Comment