Monday 12 May 2014

Three books you may not have read but definitely should

(My terrible iPhone photography. I apologize, I really do) 
These are three books that I've read in the last year, and have absolutely adored. I have also rarely seen them talked about which I think is ridiculous because they should be at the top of the best seller lists. All three are a favourite book of mine (and it takes a lot for a book to make that list)


  1. Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend by Matthew Green. This is one of the most interesting books I've ever read. It's written from the perspective of a young boy, Max's imaginary friend, Budo. The plot follows Max and his life and that's all I'm going to say! I couldn't stop thinking about this book for weeks after I've finished it and the ending made me cry a little. The use of perspective in this book was so interesting and I have never read anything like this before. If you liked Room or Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, give this a read!
  2. How We Met by Katy Regan. I picked this book off the shelf on Waterstones because the title made me think of the TV show How I Met You Mother. Random, but I am so so glad I picked it up! It's about a group of friends who are dealing with the grief that follows the death of one of their best friends Liv. This book spoke to me on a very personal level, and I really felt I could relate to the characters and the pain that they were going through. I have experienced myself the effects that a death can have on a friendship group, and this book depicts it perfectly. It's just so raw and emotive and I cried lots yet I just love it. Anyone who's suffered a loss of a friend will resonate with this. 
  3. How To Say Goodbye In Robot by Natalie Standiford. This book was highly recommended by John Green and so of course I was going to read it, and I am SO glad I did! I have never seen this book online or in stores, so if I hadn't read that one blog post I might never have discovered this beautiful creation of a novel. It follows the story of Bea who arrives in a new town and forms a friendship with a boy called Jonah. The plot itself I found exciting and heartbreaking, yet it was the characters that cemented my love for this book. The characters feel so real and are so flawed and beautiful at the same time that I can't help but love them. This book has been followed by the phase "teen romance" but it is honestly not like that. It's about all kinds of love, love for a family member, love for a friend, and the love you can feel for strangers. This book haunted me after I finished it, and I really wish there was a sequel just so I could catch up with the characters :( (Also, I read this in Disneyland Paris in the queue to meet Goofy and Sleeping Beauty, so there's a fun fact). 
So yeah! That is it! If you are looking for a new read, no matter what age you are, I highly recommend any of these books. I love them and I hope you do too! 
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment