Sunday 11 May 2014

It's the most stressful time of the year...

Anyone age 14-18 in England right now can totally sympathise with me right now.

It's exam season.

The worst time of the year.

I am currently on study leave in order to revise for the final exams I will ever sit in school, my A2's! (I am studying English Lit, Religious Studies and Psychology for anyone who cares) Anyone sitting A Level or GCSE exams, I feel your pain :(

Having just spent hours revising (but I'm now done for the day!) I figured I would write a little post with my top tips for revision. I'm not saying I'm an expert or in anyway a top student but these are just what works for me!

1) DO NOT REVISE NEAR YOUR COMPUTER/TV/PHONE. This is so important to me that it's in capitals. Honestly, it's a wonder I passed my AS' levels, considering I spent 90% of my time sitting next to my laptop, with my textbook open, and before I knew it, I had spent five hours on Youtube and Tumblr and got nothing done. Eek. Find a space away from distractions, such as your kitchen table or even better a desk and get studying!

2) Set realistic targets. I am a big believer in revision timetables, and I will literally get nothing done with my trusty timetable. However, your timetable will be useless unless it is realistic. Stick to one or two subjects a day, otherwise you'll just be totally overwhelmed. I work best in 30 to 45 minute sessions, and I definitely wouldn't recommend working for more than an hour at a time without a break. Don't expect to write 10 essays in one morning, or finish all your notes on a subject in half an hour, you just won't get it done!

3) Use your breaks well. When you finish good session of revision, get yourself a nice snack and a drink to hydrate yourself. Then go ahead and check your phone, reply to those texts that were sent just at the moment you turned your phone off (why does that always happen?!) I try not to go onto my laptop or turn on the TV in my breaks, as I know I'll just get sucked in to something and that's the rest of the day gone! My revision breaks at the moment consist of just chatting to my parents which has the magical ability to make me want to return to revision...

4) Don't panic! I have often fallen victim to panic and resulted in cramming, which I have managed to survive on in the past but I am NOT endorsing. It just leads to you spending the day before the exam freaking out, which is not the mindset you want to be in! Not panicking enables you to go into your exam with a clear head, relaxed, and confident (well, apparently. I've never felt like that before an exam, but there are people out there who do go into exam like that. I know, I hate them too)

And that's it!

Good luck ANYONE with exams, you will be fine!



No comments:

Post a Comment