Saturday 26 July 2014

Books read in America

Saw this in The Strand bookshop- I love it!
Whilst I was in America, I got a chance to catch up on my reading. These were the books I read and enjoyed :) 

The first book I read was My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick. Sam has always been controlled by her mother and told not to mingle with the family next door, but when she meets Jase, she can’t help how she feels towards him. I loved this book! It was the perfect romance YA to read in summer, and the characterization of Tim, Jase and Sam. The “secret” comes late in the book which was kind of annoying as I just wanted to know, but I loved it so much when it happened. The ending left quite a few questions, but a bit of mystery is always good! 5/5

The second book I read was Written in the Stars by Ali Harris. I first picked this up because I saw “Stars” and thought of TFIOS (pfft no I’m not obsessed). It’s about a woman who slips on her wedding day and splits into two lives, one where she leaves her husband at the alter and the other where she marries him. When I first started this I was like “oh I know what’s going to happen” but as the novel progressed I was really surprised! I can’t say too much without giving anything away but it’s definitely not the plot and the ending I expected. I really want to read more Ali Harris books now! 4/5

The third book I read was If I Stay by Gayle Forman. This was so highly recommended to me, and it definitely lived up to the hype. It tells the story of Mia who when she’s in a car accident, is able to see her body in the hospital. I feel like it was more philosophical about life/death and living etc than actually about the storyline. The characterization was really well done, I particularly liked Adam and Teddy’s character. I wouldn’t rush to read the sequel, but I did really like this. 4/5
On holiday, I also took to using the Kindle app on my phone a lot, as it was easy and convenient. I re-read one of my favourite books, 19 Minutes, by Jodi Picoult about a school shooting in a small town in America. I first read this years ago, and I love it so much. It’s so chilling and haunting and well written, and the characters are just incredible. I just went back and forth, reading my favourite chapters again and again, until I’d probably read it about three times and decided it was time to read another book! 5/5

Let me know what books you’ve been reading this summer!

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment