Wednesday 2 July 2014

Stephanie Perkins- I love you!

A while ago I was browsing on Twitter and saw that an author I follow retweeted Stephanie Perkins' tweet saying that her book "Anna and the French Kiss" was free on iBooks. I had never used iBooks but I quickly downloaded it and got Anna and the French Kiss. I had seen this recommended before and I couldn't resist the chance to read it for free!

I read this book in a matter of days, it was that good. It's set in Paris, where Anna who is originally American, goes to boarding school and meets a new group of people. It is a romance story, but it's also about friendship and growing up. It has such a good storyline and honestly some of the best characterisation I've read in a long time. I won't say too much to avoid spoilers, but it would be a perfect summer read for anyone! (Warning- You will want to go to Paris after reading this...)

Almost as soon as I'd finished this, I picked up Lola and the Boy Next Door, which is the second one in the series. The two are not directly related, as Lola is about a girl called Lola (obvious but yeah) however, Anna does feature quite heavily in it (I love Anna as a character, so I was so glad to see her come back!) I read Lola and the Boy Next Door in a few days as well, and enjoyed it just as much. I would say that the characters in this are just as amazing, Lola is quite a quirky character which I liked because the conventionally "standard" female protagonist in YA fiction is just so overdone. Also, can I just say how brilliantly I think Stephanie Perkins incorporated Lola's gay parents- it wasn't massively overstated and it actually was a plot/character device instead of just being thrown in for the sake of it (as some authors tend to do)

Stephanie's third book comes out in August 2014 and is called "Isla and the Happily Ever After" and features both Anna and Lola! I'm so excited for this book.

I just had to write a post to gush about these books, I love stumbling across a new series, and these books just left me feeling so warm and fuzzy I had to write about them! Pick up Anna if you get a chance, I promise you will love it (if you love YA/romance type books)





No comments:

Post a Comment