Wednesday 23 July 2014

Coping with Anxiety Whilst Travelling



I have suffered from anxiety and panic attacks for four years, and I had believed until recently that I had it relatively under control. However, being abroad in America has shown me that anxiety is something I will probably have to live with for the rest of my life. The constant anxious thoughts, and frequent panic attacks have made this holiday slightly harder than I anticipated but I managed! I also think that all the media coverage of the various conflicts and attacks in the world made me more anxious than usual (hearing that a plane got shot down is never comforting when you know that a plane journey is between you and your safe haven- aka home)

However, here is my list of tips and suggestions- I hope it helps or gives your some ideas!

Number one- this only applies to hot weather, but I find myself much more likely to have a panic attack if I’m hot, whether abroad or at home. Obviously there are many ways to keep yourself cool, but a trick that I used is to get some mints (like tic tacs or polos) and then drink water with a mint in your mouth. It will cool you down instantly and is really refreshing. This should lower your body temperature, which may help you feel less anxious or panicky.

Number two- control your breathing. When you have a panic attack, your breathing is all messed up and you’re taking in too much oxygen. Breathe in for 7, breathe out for 7. A paper bag is good, even if you have to get someone to run into a store and grab one for you.  Honestly, when it comes to breathing you’re probably gonna have to figure out for yourself what works for you because it’s different for everyone. Focus on something, your pulse, the wind, anything. Just something steady and regular to help yourself come back to the moment and calm down.

Number three- be prepared for things to be different. You’re not at home, in your normal environment anymore.  That doesn’t have to be a scary thing, so long as you accept it and go with the flow.  Read signs, guidebooks and websites as these will let you know what the local norm is, but if in doubt asking locals is the best way to get out of a confusing situation, as they’ll know what to do. You’ve travelled to a different place for a reason it’s to explore! If it was identical to home then there would be no point going away.

Finally, number four and personally the most important for me. If you don’t like a situation, remove yourself from it. I know this is sometimes easier said than done, but honestly, don’t force yourself to remain somewhere if you feel anxious or panicky. Whether this be on a form of transport, for example a train or a taxi, or in a museum or theatre, or even a public space like a park. I was in the Newseum in Washington in the iMax theatre, which featured a 4d experience through news, one of these was in an asylum which I found incredibly triggering and upsetting. I got up, walked to the exit and said to the lady “I need to get out”. My mum had followed me, and we went to the cafĂ© and got a cupcake. I felt shakey and sick, but I was much better outside the iMax and I soon calmed down. Don’t worry about how this is a “once in a life time” experience or how much money you’ve spent, it won’t be worth it if your memories of the place are of having a panic attack in the corner. Just quietly, calmly, leave. Even if you’re somewhere you can’t leave, such as a train, get up and go for a walk, go to the toilet or a different carriage. Change up your environment, remind yourself you are free to move and to escape. You are not trapped.

I hope this helped someone, even just to let them know that they’re not alone. It’s hard to admit on holiday, which is meant to be perfect and magical, that you’re feeling a bit rubbish and need to get out a situation before a panic attack occurs.

Sending lots of love and hugs to anyone with anxiety/panic disorders
Alex

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment