Wednesday 6 August 2014

Day Out: Medea at the National Theatre

My mum is obsessed with Greek Tragedies. She says it's because they're really short and action packed. When she got £15 tickets to the National Theatre production of Medea, she wanted me to come. I read some reviews, admitted to myself that the ending would be grim, but was swayed by all the brilliant reviews. Soo on the 5th of August after a quick dinner at Eat, we went to sit at Medea.

Okay firstly- I love the National Theatre. Its such a beautiful theatre and the seats give all audience members a really good view.

The play starts with Medea's two sons on stage, whilst the audience files in. This made me so sad because SPOILER ALERT you know that in an hour and a half they'll be dead.

Quick summary of the plot- Medea's husband has left her for another woman, and she goes kinda batshit crazy at this. The King comes and tells Medea to leave, but gives her one more day (big mistake buddy) during which Medea murders the new bride and the king with a poison cloak, and then eventually cuts out her sons throats. Yeah, that's kind of it.

The set and acting were both amazing. Helen McCrory was outstanding and I think she is an incredible and powerful actress. I didn't really understand the point of the creepy outside gardens except for dramatic effect, but the upstairs wedding area worked really well.

Particular highlight was the actress who played the nurse. I'm not sure of her name but I hope I see her in a play again, she had so much passion and showed so much wisdom as her character. The chorus were a necessity of Greek plays, and they did offer an insight, but the dancing and rhythmic twitching got a bit weird.

In the lead up to the climax of the play, I was gripping my mum's hand. All the action happens offstage, but the horrific screams of pain from the children made me wince and I had to look away from the empty stage.

The haunting figure of Medea dragging the two sleeping bags with her dead children's bodies inside had the entire audience captivated in silence. The nurse came on and spoke a few final lines, before the lights dropped.

If you can get tickets to this sold out production and you're into intense drama pieces or just good theatre, I highly recommend it!



I also met James McAvoy, full story here (x)


Let me know if you've seen Medea or if you just agree with me that James McAvoy is gorgeous 
xxx 

No comments:

Post a Comment